Starting wine turns off my screen

Philipp Wollermann phil_wo at gmx.net
Thu Sep 18 09:42:20 CDT 2003

Hi,

I recently installed Mandrake 9.1 and updated it to the newest packages .. I'm
using the ATI fglrx 3.2.5 driver for XFree 4.3.0 (I have a Hercules Radeon
9700) and playing 3D games like tuxracer works great. However, when I try to
start any program with wine my screen gets dark and goes into standby. This
happens even with Notepad or the programs included with Wine! This problem
didn't happen on my earlier installations of Linux, but I can't say if it's
the driver of my graphics card (maybe I should try an older version? mmh.),
my Mandrake 9.1 or wine itself (I'm using the current version from CVS, just
updated). Maybe somebody had this problem too and knows how to get wine
running again?
The funny thing is: My PC keeps running, I can connect to it using SSH and
kill wine, but this doesn't do anything about my screen. I can even start
wine again (wine notepad.exe) and it gives me the usual output, no Errors or
Warnings.

My system:
Mandrake 9.1, updated to newest packages
ASUS A7V333, VIA KT333 chipset
768 MB RAM
Hercules Radeon 9700 using ATI driver v3.2.5
Athlon XP 1800+

Philipp