Bug in the heap management code?

Michael Günnewig MichaelGuennewig at gmx.de
Fri Sep 19 09:02:34 CDT 2003

Mike Hearn <mike at theoretic.com> writes:

> This is very much like a problem I am having with InstallShield.
> Something, somewhere, is trashing the heap data structures, which causes
> a crash some time later, often yards away from the original bug. As far
> as I know, there is no good way to spot this problem, it's just C/C++
> sucking.... maybe valgrind might help?

Yes and no. valgrind still doesn't support many instructions...

Have set and exported __GL_FORCE_GENERIC_CPU=1 else it will crash much
earlier. Seems to me that the native DLLs which I need to run
Morrowind contains some non-486 instructions. Does anyone knows
whether it's possible to tell these DLLs that we only have a 486 ?

Output of valgrind is attached.

  Michael