DOS: silence some fixme's

Michael Stefaniuc mstefani at redhat.de
Sun Sep 21 17:49:27 CDT 2003

Hello,

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 05:44:23PM +0200, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 05:15:18PM +0200, Michael Stefaniuc wrote:
> > Alexandre, please use following revised changelog for the patch:
> > Changelog:
> > 	- silence the FIXME's produced by a check for dos4gw or
> > 	  compatible dos32 extender.
> Maybe it's actually a good idea to change the code to return
> "support", since we already have DPMI support (it might not be 100% perfect,
> but it's almost 100% working, IIRC).
You are confusing something: the int21 0xff functions are specific to
dos4gw and compatibles and have nothing to do with DPMI. The DPMI
installation check is int2f AX=1687h and that one already returns
"success".

> > 	- silence the FIXME produced by an install check of MVSOUND.SYS
> That's one FIXME less in exchange for one additional code path,
> which would have to be done for every utility on earth that uses int 0x2f
> for install checks (since they all use different values for their checks).
> Maybe this shouldn't be done like that, who knows...
Yeah, i've thought about that too. There are a lot of interrupt
functions in Ralf Brown's interrupt list that are provided by third
party (not DOS or Windows) drivers/programs. Adding code to explicitly
ignore them would add a lot of bloat. There are two ways to do it:
a.) like we do now: add the ignore code if a program falsly triggers an
ERR
b.) like DOS and the BIOS are doing it: if the interrupt handler dosn't
know about the function then do nothing and return. But for this we
would need to go through all interrupt handlers and add FIXME's for all
the functions that still need to be implemented by winedos.

The first approach was easier in the beginning, migrating to the second
method would be yet another janitorial task. But this is not for me to
decide, Jukka/Alexandre are the people to make the call.

bye
	michael
System Administration           Fax.: +49-711-96437-111
Red Hat GmbH                    Email: mstefani at redhat.com
Hauptstaetterstr. 58            http://www.redhat.de/
D-70178 Stuttgart