Will wine get to 1.0 before the win32 APIs are obsolete?

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Tue Sep 23 06:14:14 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 20:05, Jakob Eriksson wrote:
> <little tale>
> The other week I received a little program from a friend.  I tried to
> run it in Wine.
> It didn't work at all.  It was a dotNET - compiled EXE.
> </little tale>

What error did you get from Wine? We should patch it to inform users
that this is the case, and that they can use Mono to try and run it.

At some point of course we're going to have to go the whole way and
fully integrate Wine and Mono.

> Today, there are over 76,000 Win32 APIs, and countless wrappers. With
> Longhorn, Microsoft hopes to reduce the API set to 8,000 to 10,000.

76,000! Man, that's a lot of code. I wonder how many we actually
implement (correctly)?