Configuration parameters

Eric Pouech pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 23 12:39:00 CDT 2003

Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 05:50, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
>
>>On September 18, 2003 01:26 pm, Eric Pouech wrote:
>>

>>>the point is that it's not easy to tell between :
>>>- two physical sound cards (one ALSA, one OSS)
>>>- one physical sound card but with ALSA and OSS emulation on top of ALSA
>>>moreover, we'll have to store winmm card information to dsound driver
>>>somewhere in order to link them (and stop using the current hack)
>>>that's why some driver configuration will be necessary in the registry
>>

> How many people really two different sound cards using two entirely
> different driver models at the same time? We can at least have a
> sensible default here.

the default would be if both ALSA and OSS work on default card, then use
ALSA, but it'll be hard to get further (especially when thinking of esd
or arts). Except, if we just have a simple question: share the sound
access with other apps => if yes, then try esd, arts... if no, then alsa
or oss

A+
--
Eric Pouech