Script to compile Wine programs on Windows

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Tue Sep 23 22:59:09 CDT 2003

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:

> On September 23, 2003 11:02 pm, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > The attached script makes it possible to compile many programs from Wine
> > under Windows.  The only software needed on Windows is Cygwin with MinGW
> > libraries and some other utilities (flex, bison).  Simply run setup.exe
> > from www.cygwin.com and make sure to select MinGW development tools.
> > Then get Wine sources, and run the attached script in the Cygwin shell
> > while in the Wine top-level source directory.
>
> Cool, but wouldn't it be even nicer if we could build everything out
> of our Makefiles directly? It may be a bit trickier to integrate
> cleanly into our build system, but I think the result is much nicer.

I agree.  I think it's possible, but I wanted to start with something that
works with no changes to the sources.  Better integration will require
more changes than just spawnvp fix.

For example, winefile.exe needs "-luuid" in MinGW because it provides
IID_IDataObject.  In Wine, IID_IDataObject is defined in include/objidl.h
and a constant number.  Wine doesn't have uuid library.

Some resource files refer to icons if __WINE__ is not defined.  The icons
are missing.  Perhaps those references can be removed.  Alternatively,
icon resources should be converted to the binary format in Wine.  I don't
know if the reason to use text representations was because of wrc
limitations or to avoid binaries in Wine CVS.

Also, some programs overuse WINE_ERR, like winecfg.exe.  It should be
possible to disable all text messages, even the most important ones, or
direct them to some other place.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin