interactive dsound tests fail && winealsa problem

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Wed Sep 24 13:29:12 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 10:55 am, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> wine at frotz.org writes:
> > So, what I'm wondering now is:  1) Should I bother finishing it?  OSS is
> > working fine for me again, and if someone else is going to fix the
> > existing ALSA driver...., and 2) if the answer to question 1 is 'yes',
> > then what is the proper protocol for submitting such a substantial code
> > change.  IMO a separate driver would be less destabilizing (don't run it
> > if you don't want to!), but a little confusing (two ALSA drivers?).
>
> No I don't think we want two ALSA drivers, we want one that works
> right in all cases.

Nevertheless, I don't see how it could be a bad thing to post your code here
on wine-devel; that way others could at least borrow from your code.
Alternatively, finish the driver, and if it's better than the existing one,
perhaps it should replace it... wine-devs including AJ cannot possibly know
if your code is better or worse, or how to use it or not use it, without
seeing it.

I agree that two drivers is silly but that doesn't mean your code cannot be
used in some other way... there may be some other problem for all I know, but
the two-drivers thing is a red herring.  Don't let that stop you from sharing
the fruits of your labor, if that is what you want to do...

--
gmt

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his
 hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- H. L. Mencken