ntdll/kernel32: #36

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at baikal.ru
Thu Sep 25 01:52:38 CDT 2003

"Eric Pouech" <pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> but which charset is used when getting the filename (from a directory
> enum for example). The charset of the mount option, the default charset
> of the kernel, or the charset of default locale ?

Look at the following line, borrowed from my /etc/fstab:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/dosc vfat auto,uid=500,gid=500,ro,noexec,codepage=866,iocharset=koi8-r 0 0

It means that the kernel should use cp 866 for short file names on that
drive and translate file names to the local koi8-r encoding for file APIs.
It's up to user to make correct assumptions and specify valid mount options.

I.e. it's quite a fair play to assume that the user has correctly configured
the system to work with his/her locale.

--
Dmitry.