How to run program without wine ?

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Thu Sep 25 17:16:10 CDT 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> A Win32 program needs Win32 environment. Be that a registry, the Win32
> APIs, or a forest directory structure and "My Documents" and "Program
> Files". While you may theoretically get the APIs by statically linking
> the DLLs into the executable, all of the rest are only available if Wine
> is installed on the machine. As such, I don't think a Winelib app will
> be able to ever live without a wine environment.

Of course, you will need wine installed. I wasn't clear in my response,
but I thought he refered to the fact that now we have to start Winelib
apps as:
   wine myapp.so

Ideally, we can just link it to a real executable, without all the
wrappers that we have now. Not that it would change much, you will
still need the DLLs, etc. but it would be a bit cleaner. Meanwhile,
if you use winegcc you are isolated from all these ugly details...

--
Dimi.