Fix for bug 640 - moving thin frames leaves mess

Pavel Roskin proski at gnu.org
Sat Sep 27 00:52:57 CDT 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> Pavel Roskin <proski at gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I also included a patch that removes special treatment for R2_XORPEN with
> > black pen.  I don't see such behavior in Windows 2000.  I also tested
> > Paintbrush from Windows 3.11 and it has no graphical problems
> > except Pick->Tilt, which is unaffected by this code.  It's an old hack
> > that is wrong and unneeded now.
>
> Have you tried on an 8-bit display?  That's where the hack is needed,
> and I see no evidence that this has changed. Besides it shouldn't hurt
> on more modern displays so I'm not sure why you want to remove it.

I've retested paintbrush on the 8-but display and I see no difference.

The reasons are:

1) I invested time into testing XOR operations on Windows 2000 and found
no magic interpretation for the black pen.  It's invisible in Windows.

2) DrawFocusRect() is Wine uses this hack accidentally.  COLOR_WINDOWTEXT
is black, so it becomes white.  It's confusing.  Not only window text is
irrelevant, but Wine also gets it as black but uses as white.

3) Black pen, white background, pattern, opaque mode.  The background
would still be changing the image.  If we consider the pen white, the
pattern would be lost.  I actually didn't test it, but I expect it to be
broken.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin