"Start menu"

Robert van Herk rherk at students.cs.uu.nl
Sun Sep 28 07:07:34 CDT 2003

Hi people,

It is said that there is some kind of start menu that should appear for
Wine. I myself am using Slackware 9/KDE and on my system it does not
show up though.

Furthermore, I do not think the wine start menu, if it exists, is
currently being synchronized with the files in the Start Menu directory
(Windows\\Start Menu) that Wine has.

Since I am not exactly sure what already exists, I don't know if it's a
good idea to make a application (kicker applet?) that reads the .lnk
files from the start menu dir and makes a menu out of that, so people
can easily access Windows executables.

A great advantage of synchronizing with the Start Menu would be that
after every installation the executables will appear on your desktop as
people are used to from using Windows. This might make Wine more
intuitive to use...

So, my question is:

To what extend does wine already do something like this, and, moreover,
how should I turn that on :-).

If it does not has a functionality like this: do you agree that making
this in a kicker applet is a good idea?

Greetings,

Robert