Alex Pasadyn ajp at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Sep 28 18:51:24 CDT 2003

Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Alex Pasadyn wrote:
>
>> My original patch was not friendly about the depth changing, so I am
>> improving that.  Now, it will always enumerate 8, 16, and 32-bit modes
>> and silently ignore depth change requests.
>

> What happens if your real server is at 16bpp, and the app requests 24?

The 24-bit X server depth corresponds to the 32-bit Windows depth.  I
never fully understood that.  The old hard-coded list of modes only
lists 8, 16, and 32.  I have my code doing the same, and everything
seems happy.

My original patch returned a "bad mode" error if you tried to change the
depth, but it seems some applications just assume they can always change
the depth to whatever they want.  I saw that there is a "requires
reboot" code we could try returning instead to see how they like it, but
for now I will just return "success" as that's what the old code used to
do.  I was always concerned about faking it like that, but most apps
seem to be okay.  If they query the settings back they will see the
"real" depth and that their change to it had no effect.

The good thing is this stuff now only appears one place instead of three
or four.

-ajp