Trouble installing MS SQLserver 2000 Client Tools

Craig Davison craig at darkcalgary.com
Mon Sep 29 12:07:02 CDT 2003

Hi,

I've been trying to install the SQLserver Client Tools with Wine 20030911
(on Redhat 9). The setup process fails near the beginning because it
cannot install MDAC ("Setup is installing Microsoft Data Access Components
(MDAC) ...").

It exits with a dialog that says "Installation of the Microsoft Data
Access Components package failed. (-1)". The following console messages
are displayed:

fixme:process:CreateProcessA (F:\standard\x86\other\sqlredis.exe,...):
CREATE_SEPARATE_WOW_VDM ignored
fixme:win32:PE_CreateModule Security directory ignored
fixme:process:CreateProcessA (E:\IXP001.TMP\setupre.exe,...):
NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS ignored
fixme:string:MultiByteToWideChar MB_USEGLYPHCHARS not supported
fixme:string:MultiByteToWideChar MB_USEGLYPHCHARS not supported
fixme:string:MultiByteToWideChar MB_USEGLYPHCHARS not supported
fixme:string:MultiByteToWideChar MB_USEGLYPHCHARS not supported

I can't install MDAC standalone (MDAC_TYP.EXE from microsoft's website)
either, but I don't think that matters because SQLserver setup will always
try to install MDAC.

Note that I have IE 5.5SP2 installed, and I think DCOM98 (I can't tell if
that failed or succeeded) according to instructions in the WineHQ appdb.
Wine is emulating "win98".

Any hints?
Thanks