Script to compile Wine programs on Windows

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Mon Sep 29 14:17:24 CDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> We need a way for bin2res to extract a single file for this to work
> right. And yes, it only works if all the binaries are in a single rc
> file which happens to be the main rc file, otherwise you need to write
> multiple rules manually.

Right, this is the point where I didn't see how you can do things
manually with the RCBINARIES variable. But if multiple .rc files
are not a concern...

> I don't see how using intermediate files is going to make this any better.

The one intermediate file is needed for separating the rules in
Make.rules and the dependencies in 'make depend'. This also allows
it to work with multiple .rc files just fine.

Essentially, if we were to generate the bin2res rule from make depend,
we would not need the intermediate file. But if we are to separate the
two, we need a way to trigger the bin2res. Thing is that right now
bin2res does one pass over the .rc file, and extracts all of .bmp files.

So this .extract (or .binres if you want :)) is a way of saying
"OK, we've run bin2res on the .rc file".

I'm not trying to push this too hard, I don't care that much,
but since we're discussing it, I'm curious about a few things:
  -- I don't like that intermediate file that much myself,
     but why do you think it's such an unthinkable bad idea?
     We'd add it to .cvsingore, we have plenty of intermediate files...
  -- Why do you think the proposed scheme would not work?

Oh, and BTW, in this rule:

$(RCBINARIES): $(RCBINSRC)
        bin2res -o $@ $(SRCDIR)/$(RCBINSRC)

bin2res will update all .bmp files in one go, will make update
it's timestamps to avoid running bin2res multiple times?

--
Dimi.