PATCH: stop crashes in desktop mode

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Tue Sep 30 06:58:09 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 21:18, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Eric Pouech <pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
> > wouldn't something like Xnest help here ?
>
> Yes, it would be one way to implement it (and arguably it's the right
> way in an X environment, there's no reason for Wine to duplicate that
> functionality).

Do we really want a dependency on Xnest, which is usually not installed
by default on most distributions (and is quite large i think)?

> I'm not sure how well Xnest supports X extensions and
> hardware acceleration, though that could probably be fixed.

IIRC it does not support Xrender at all.

The other way would be to extend managed mode so we don't need to use
Desktop mode for InstallShield (which is the primary offender). I find
simply setting the default mode to managed makes most of them work but
of course that probably breaks some other apps. What is the reason for
unmanaged to be the default (in is_window_managed)?

thanks -mike