Start menu (especially for Alexandre Julliard)

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Tue Sep 30 07:12:23 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 22:06, Robert van Herk wrote:
> As I understand (from the explanation by Russell Howe (thanx:-))),
> there is a script called wineshelllink that is supposed to install the
> created start menu items in your KDE menu.

Indeed. It is rather broken though. It works sometimes, but only for KDE
<= 3.1, not 3.2 or GNOME2.

> Second: from looking at the script it seems that this menu is not
> synchronized with the actual contents of your start menu, which would
> seem more fancy to me. Because Windows users will be aquainted with
> the fact that the Start menu directory actually contains the contents
> of the start menu.

This is easier said than done. Remember that in future all menu items
will be controlled via vFolders (freedesktop.org)

> What I would propose is a system in which the contents of the wine
> menu would be in continuous synchronization with your start menu. That
> would mean:

So when does the sync occur?

> Wouldn't you agree such a system would be better?

Certainly. I look forward to seeing your patch ;)

thanks -mike