Question about WineX licences

Ove Kaaven ovehk at ping.uio.no
Tue Sep 30 10:51:29 CDT 2003

tir, 30.09.2003 kl. 17.16 skrev Dimitrie O. Paun:
> On September 30, 2003 09:16 am, Ove Kaaven wrote:
> > Now the LGPL-ness of Wine
> > actually makes it an advantage to hold code back from Wine in some
> > circumstances, whether you and I like it or not.
>
> Your argument is valid right now because there was not attempt
> to abstract the copy protection through some kind of interface.
> We've had this discussion before, and Alexandre was willing to
> accommodate such hooks, but the argument was put forward that
> this is not possible. I simply do not believe you can't abstract
> it, anything can be. One reason why you may not want to is that
> you may be afraid that if people see the interface, they will
> figure out how to write their own copy-protection code. But this
> is a business, rather then a technical or legal reason...

Well, there is a legal reason, Gav is afraid of the DMCA. There is also
a licensing agreement with Macrovision that could be jeopardized by
doing anything that made their copy protection scheme easier to "crack"
(or whatever they're afraid of).

And it's "impossible" because the patch we're talking about does not
actually implement copy protection. It only makes Wine implement certain
Windows quirks. For Wine not to implement these quirks in certain APIs
may be considered bugs, and how do you abstract away bugfixes?

Anyway, if you're really insistent, perhaps you can get Gav to let you
sign a NDA and see the code for yourself, then come up with a way to
abstract it, but you'd have to talk to him about it.

It's not certain it would do much good for the paranoid game companies
that currently contract us for Mac ports though.