"Start menu" (continued ...)

Robert van Herk robert at robertvanherk.nl
Tue Sep 30 15:02:40 CDT 2003

Hi all...

As I understand, right now there are various "standards" on how to write
menus for Linux, that are incompatible. That would mean that writing a
"grand unified ;-)" start menu client as I discussed before is currently
impossible.

What could be made already though, is a Wine deamon that talks to
shell32.dll internally and input/outputs with pipes to some linux
client, in order to serve the start menu items. This would link the
Windows start menu to Linux, in a tidy way. So the idea is that the
Windows program's output could be piped to some Linux client that
actually creates the menu dynamically, so it stays in continuous
synchronization with your Start menu directory.

The Linux client cannot be made unified yet, but I suppose I could at
least write a client for KDE. It wouldn't be to messy to add other
clients later for other desktop enviroments, since the deamon does not
have to change in order to do so. That is, only the neccesairy thingies
change.

 From looking at the help files I suppose KPanelAppMenu could do the trick.

Would such a system be appreciated by the you people? Or do you think I
should wait untill a better standarization is available? Or do you think
creating a Windows deamon and a Linux client is too much overkill for
such a feature?

Also, if this feature would be handy, does anyone have expirience with
the KPanelAppMenu? I can't get the thingy to work yet...

Grtz,

Robert