Developer's path to Windows/*NIX multi-platform?

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Fri Apr 2 07:31:38 CST 2004

On April 2, 2004 5:03 am, Robert van Herk wrote:
> For me, as a user, I am
> always aware of the fact that it is running on a compatibily layer.
>
> If you want something that really looks Linux-like, I'd go with QT
> and/or GTK.

Indeed, currently Wine makes it painfully clear that it's not
native. Unfortunately for Linux (and fortunately for my point),
the stupid Qt/GTK problem means that whatever you choose, it
will not feel native.

But look at the big picture: we are actively working on uxtheme,
and it's a matter of time before we will have _very_ good L&F
integration. Ideally, we will have a GTK theme and a QT theme
that just calls the respective toolkit's theming code, so a
Wine app will look native both in GNOME and in KDE. I 100% agree
that native integration is paramount, and this is why we will
have it.

Since you've mentioned the toolkits, a small comment on that.
Of the two only QT is a serious option for cross-platform development.
It's a good option, but it's not perfect because your application
will not be native in GNOME, you will not be using the native toolkits
in Windows, you have to pay a lot of licensing fees, etc. Maybe
wxWindows is a better option...

--
Dimi.