WININET: move to Windows sockets

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Mon Apr 5 12:15:11 CDT 2004

On April 5, 2004 1:57 pm, Mike McCormack wrote:
> IMO, wininet is not really performance critical, and we can probably
> improve things in the winsock layer a bit too.

I second that. Moreover, it seems that it's not that much of a performance
hit (as experienced by the user, 4.1s vs. 4.2s), but rather higher CPU
utilization. And for Wine, we have a ton of places which are a lot more
used which are more wasteful. Not to say that we should waste cycles
left, right, and center, but it does seem that this patch is certainly
within acceptable limits, and with some tweaks to winsock (which will
help other things as well) it can probably be significantly improved.

--
Dimi.