Serial and pread

Izak Burger izakb at synapp.com
Tue Apr 13 11:07:51 CDT 2004

Hello,

I'm currently debugging a problem with serial comms over wine, and I see
that when a serial device is opened (in server/serial.c) the
serial_get_info function returns a type of FD_TYPE_DEFAULT, which in
turn causes the serial device to be read from and written to with pread
and pwrite in dlls/ntdll/file.c.  Will this even work?  I mean, how can
you write or read to a serial port while using an offset?

In any case, I changed the code to return FD_TYPE_SOCKET instead ( I
thought a serial port is probably a lot more like a socket than it is a
file) and now I get some activity on the serial port (before there was
nothing), but it still does not work as it should.  Not to worry, I just
wanted to ask if all the trouble people were having with async serial
comms might not be related to this?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

regards,
Izak