exec-shield workaround take 4

Peter Riocreux par+wine_devel at silistix.com
Wed Apr 14 10:45:52 CDT 2004

With this latest (version 4) of the patch my app now gives every
impression of working fine. It starts, spawns children, and appears to
run correctly to completion, including dealing with a license manager
on a remote machine. If used interactively, some of the fonts are a
bit ropey, but I haven't done anything other than a basic install, so
I am sure I could get them looking better, and that is not a problem
with the application in any case.

The remaining error/warning/fixme messages are:

--------------------------------------
fixme:console:SetConsoleCtrlHandler (0x41a8af,1) - no error checking or testing yet
fixme:console:SetConsoleCtrlHandler (0x7800f03e,1) - no error checking or testing yet
Notify Error: 0-Shm124 0x1042201 6
Notify Error: 0-Shm136 0x1042201 6
fixme:console:SetConsoleCtrlHandler (0x7800f03e,1) - no error checking or testing yet
--------------------------------------

The fixme's I am not worried about, except that the only instance of a
callto the function I can find outside of DEBUG stuff calls it with
the first argument NULL, so I am not entirely sure why I am getting
those arguments in the messages.

The "Notify Error" messages are more worrying - they are unadorned, so
it is not clear where they come from (and grepping for diferent bits
of it hasn't helped). I assume from the detail that it is something
about shared memory, but given that they are only two in number ....

[5 mins later]

In fact I spoke too soon - the "Notify Error" multiplied in one (of
v. many) runs and it got itself in an loop that seemed to be headed
for infinite status, repeating the message:

Notify Error: 1-Shm76 0xbf118b78 6

Any ideas where it even comes from?

Many thanks to Mike (and Mike?) for the work on the patch.

Peter