help fixing up SetConsoleCtrlHandler()

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 12:28:21 CDT 2004

Hi Peter,

Peter wrote:
> 1) If I am using SetLastError, it is not obvious to
> me what error values I should be using there.

They should be a Win32 error message, the ones defined
in winerror.h that aren't HRESULTs (so, lowish values,
less then 32000 or so, not 0x80070002-ish).

> 2) Can I assume that
> Rtl{Enter,Leave}CriticalSection(),
> HeapFree(), ERR() and WARN() cannot fail (the latter
> two are presumably macros).

Mostly yes.  If your critical section hasn't been
initialized or has been deleted, {Enter,Leave}
CriticalSection can hang or otherwise do weird things,
but that won't happen "normally".

> Should I, either in general, or in this case in
> particular, detect which Windows version is being
> used and behave appropriately

No--write it assuming the less restrictive case.  A
common way to get partway there is to handle the more
restrictive (easier) case, and issue a FIXME and
return an error if the caller passes NULL.

--Juan