Problem with winealsa

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Apr 16 18:06:21 CDT 2004

I decided to run the winmm test in interactive mode with wineoss and
winealsa to see if everything is ok. So first, to do that
just do:

cd dlls/winmm/tests
WINETEST_INTERACTIVE=1 ../../../tools/runtest -P wine -M winmm.dll -T ../../.. -p winmm_test.exe.so wave.c

That will most likely run it with wineoss as the sound driver, then edit
~/.wine/config so it looks like this:

[WinMM]
; Uncomment the "Drivers" line matching your sound setting.

;"Drivers" = "wineoss.drv"      ; default for most common configurations
;"Drivers" = "winearts.drv"    ; for KDE
"Drivers" = "winealsa.drv"    ; for ALSA users
;"Drivers" = "winejack.drv"    ; for Jack sound server
;"Drivers" = "winenas.drv"     ; for NAS sound system
;"Drivers" = "wineaudioio.drv" ; for Solaris machines
;"Drivers" = ""                ; to disable sound

And you should get exactly the same result but with the winealsa driver.
Actually, it may play a couple extra or a couple less tones depending on
what Alsa's OSS emulation and Alsa-native report as their supported
sound formats.

Anyway, each tone should play for 1 second. This is the case when using
wineoss but when using winealsa they play for only 0.5 second! Does
anyone have any insight into this?

While I was at it I also tested winearts and it played the tones at a
rate of 1 per second as expected.

In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they're different.