Visual FoxPro

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Apr 17 00:40:53 CDT 2004

Cecil Champenois wrote:
> I have heard that there is a lot of interest in moving the WINE for
> Visual FoxPro forward. About a year ago, a major FoxPro developer by the
> name of Whil Hentzen was telling our User Group www.ocfox.org about the
> Visual FoxPro work you are doing with WINE. He also demonstrated Visual
> FoxPro working on a Linux laptop. We were all very impressed by this and
> anted to jump right into development but were told that the conversion
> or whatever you want to call it was at least 1 to 1.5 years away. This
> discouraged us a bit, so what we'd like to know is this: Where does the
> WINE work in relation to VFP 6, 76 and 8 stand now?
>
> We would like to begin some development in Linux, but need to know where
> the WINE work stands at this time and what the future looks like.

Hi Cecil!  I went to the VFP UG in Los Angeles that week just to meet Whil,
he's a nice guy.  I think what he was probably talking about when he
said "1 to 1.5 years away" was that Wine had some rough edges.
It still does, but they're steadily being cleaned up, and Wine is
getting smoother and smoother every month.
You should probably give it a try.  Build it from fresh sources
(it's not too hard), set up a small test app in VFP, and
give it a try on Wine.  If you run into problems, let us know.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com