project David?

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Thu Apr 22 15:10:10 CDT 2004

Rein Klazes wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Somehow, we are doing something far to complicated:
>
>http://www.specopslabs.com/david.htm
>
>Rein.

I must be not getting something. Am I the only one who sees this as a
contradiction? First they say:

> However, unlike our competitors, SpecOpS Labs has identified the flaws
> of Microsoft's WES and determined how to improve the design of the
> architecture so that the flaws would be eliminated. The result is that
> we have a fault-corrected subsystem design. One of the problems of the
> MS Windows OS is that it is subject to crash applications and itself.
> While studying the Microsoft Windows OS, we found the design flaw that
> causes this problem. One of the causes of this flaw is the method that
> Microsoft used to interface the WES with the OS Kernel. Certain
> functions within the WES are integrated directly into the Windows OS
> with full system privileges.

(http://www.specopslabs.com/david_microsoft_flaws.htm#technology)
Then they say:

> SpecOpS Labs believes, that despite the efforts that have been exerted
> in the development of WINE, it suffers from a major architectural
> flaw, which requires a major rewrite of the WINE code. The WINE
> project had been too faithful in reverse engineering the Windows
> Environment Subsystem, that it also inherited the architectural flaws
> in Windows. Among these flaws is when a problem is experienced by an
> application running in a Window, it can crash the whole operating
> system, causing it to either hang or reboot.

(http://www.specopslabs.com/market_competition3.htm#competition - WHAT??
What are they talking about??)
But then, they say:

> In our design we have integrated the Windows API directly into the
> Linux kernel giving our WACS greater speed than the Windows OS.

(http://www.specopslabs.com/david_microsoft_flaws.htm#technology)
WTF????????

So, this is a GPL project (kernel)? LGPL (Wine?).
How much are Wine and Odin alike? Is it really feasible to take code
from both?
Was WABI at all open source?

Yes, I have to agree with R.U. and Mike. I wouldn't go out and buy their
stock just yet.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh