Winetest: outstanding issues (USING)

Ferenc Wagner wferi at afavant.elte.hu
Thu Apr 22 18:26:39 CDT 2004

"Dimitrie O. Paun" <dpaun at rogers.com> writes:

> BTW Feri, can we indent the body of our current sections?

The OS version section is already indented, although that's
optional an it's defined instead as a series of equations.
The only other section, Test output is not indented, and
that would go against my design principle, which is to have
the tests write their output exactly as they want to by
redirection.  Do you have anything else in mind?

> It would make the report more readable.

One shouldn't read the report at all.  One can read the
important parts of it separately.  If a feature is missing,
we should add it the most usable way.

> We should be more forgiving with the parsing, like HTML
> is. The idea would be: "we should look only for stuff that
> we need for the report, additional stuff should be
> ignored. Moreover, non-essential stuff should be optional,
> and if not present/parsed, don't display".

Well, I'm parsing stuff written by myself, and being strict
simplifies code at both ends.  On the other hand, I took
quite some effort to ensure bit-by-bit fidelity in the test
results.  So strict parsing is unavoidable at some places.
Presently, non-essential stuff can be empty.  My pending
patches change the file format, still I didn't provide a
smooth path forward as we are testing.  I'm not even sure
about the best way of doing so.  I'm toying with the idea of
a separate conversion tool to be run once on the open builds
and always before dissect until we close all previous
builds.  If we do.
--
Feri.