i810 audio fixes 1/2

James Gregory james at james.id.au
Thu Apr 22 23:13:45 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 20:12 +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 14:38 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> > JACK runs on OS X (and is proving very popular there). It is written
> > in strict ANSI C and attempts to be strictly POSIX compatible. There
> > is an OSS-API driver enabling it to be used on Solaris (at least).
>
> Bingo :) OK, so I originally thought that alsa dmix was the best way to
> get decent desktop mixing and such, maybe it still is (I'm a real newbie
> to this stuff), but it sounds like there are at least two good solutions
> in the pipeline.
>
> Perhaps GNOME and KDE could be persuaded to move to JACK after all. The
> main problem is that I'm not sure what GStreamers support is like, and
> KDE can't/won't drop arts until kde 4 rolls around.

Gstreamer talks to JACK ok. If you run gstreamer-properties you can tell
GNOME that JACK should be the default audio output for gstreamer apps.
The problem is that most GNOME apps aren't gstreamer aware atm. Jeff
Waugh (GNOME release manager) has spoken about this stuff before. As I
understand it (and correct me if I'm wrong here), a move away from esd
would require an API change and that's not going to happen until GNOME
3.0 at the earliest.

Another option potentially worth considering is using SDL. I'm not too
familiar with it, but it does provide an audio abstraction layer. Being
written for games and so forth, it's likely they've designed it to be
relatively low-latency. Alas that's all I know about it. Figured it was
worth mentioning though.

I had a look at Wine's audio code a while ago with a view to prototyping
this. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out enough about how it works to
be able to do it. I'd be interested in having another attempt if someone
could give me some pointers on getting started.

James.
--
James Gregory <james at james.id.au>