winmm wave test

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sun Apr 25 13:53:06 CDT 2004

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004, Robert Reif wrote:

> Francois Gouget wrote:
>
> >    Some Windows sound drivers allow wild frequencies such as the 2MHz
> > one.
> >
> Is this a windows driver bug?  Is the test really valid and it's just
> finding a real bug in the windows driver for that specific sound card?
>
> I know it makes the test fail on bad windows drivers but is that bad?

It might be a buggy sound driver or it may siomply be that Windows does
not specify the behavior. After all it's always possible to remap a 2MHz
sampling rate to 44.1kHz...

So in doubt it seems best to just remove that test. Or currently just
modify it to check for invalid bits per sample values in the hope it's a
more robust test. If not we could also remove the test altogether.

                      Computers are like airconditioners
                They stop working properly if you open WINDOWS