RPCRT4: reimplement UuidCreate() with Win32 APIs (resubmit)

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 27 19:15:47 CDT 2004

Alexandre wrote:
> I don't think rpcrt4 should depend on iphlpapi, it
> doesn't on Windows AFAICS.

Right, rpcrt4 precedes iphlpapi.  However, iphlpapi
was created to allow you to do things that were
platform-specific and often undocumented.  In this
case, rpcrt4 is trying to get the MAC address.

On Windows 9x, you used to use WsControl for this, and
this calls the appropriate VxD.  Wine's WsControl
forwards to iphlpapi instead (on Win9x iphlpapi calls
WsControl).

On Windows NT, you use a DeviceIoControl on the
network device driver.  Wine doesn't implement any of
these.

Wine could use ioctl on a UNIX fd, but I doubt this is
what Hans wants to do, since he's trying to implement
this using Win32.

It appears to me that this is the most straightforward
way to get the MAC address in Wine (but since I wrote
iphlapi, you could count on me saying that ;) )
--Juan