config converting problem

Rick Romero rick at valeoinc.com
Wed Aug 11 08:44:27 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 08:08, Mike Hearn wrote:
> > Don't forget that My Documents is on c: by default.
>
> Hmm, that's true. That should definitely be fixed. I don't even think we
> map the home directory in wineprefixcreate by default, do we? I think
> Marcus' patch adds that.
>
> > Also, reinstalling all apps just because you upgraded Wine seems a bit
> > overkill, no?
>
> Well, yeah, but over time I think it becomes necessary as the contents
> of the initial registry/config file change etc ... it's hard to know
> exactly what you need to do so reinstalling is the easiest way.
>
> It sucks, I agree.

I shudder to mention it.. but Win2k supports mounting partitions as a
directories under NTFS (like unix mount).

Does anyone know where that functionality resides?

So instead of just having:
c: = ~/.wine/c_drive
d: = /mnt/cdrom

You could have

c: = ~/.wine/c_drive
c:\My Documents\ = ~/Documents
c:\Program Files\ = ~/Windows Progs
d: = /mnt/cdrom

Then wiping your ~/.wine would preserve your files, and with those apps
that don't require registry settings would just work without a reinstall
(Pegasus Mail is a good example).

Rick

Rick Romero
IT Manager