Acknowledgment page

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 23:10:39 CDT 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:25:26 -0400, Tom <twickline at sitestar.net> wrote:
> Jeremy White wrote:
> > Hmm.  I have several thoughts on this.  First, I think
> > that corporate sponsors get enough 'props'. While I appreciate
> > the gesture, I'd rather the acknowledgements page highlight
> > the many people who do good work for Wine without
> > pay or other recompense.
>
> Hello Jer,
>
> But that would just be a copy of the who's who?
> http://www.winehq.org/site/who

Random thoughts..

1) Tom - you sent me a preview of an acknowledgement page a few months
ago and I thought it was an excellent start.  I have it laying around
somewhere still.

2) Companies definitely need to be mentioned.  Corporate sponsors
_don't_ get enough props.

3) A quick glance at the AUTHORS file shows tons of names I don't
recognize and some that I happen to recognize but I know their
contributions were a line or two here and there.  I think a decent
guideline for an acknowledgement page is to scan wine-patches for the
past 2 or 3 years and pick out anyone who submitted more than, say, 4
(or Insert-Favorite-Random-Number-Here) patches.  I suspect it's
smaller than you'd think.  (cat the files together | grep From | uniq
| sort -rn) From there, add in some folks who had contributions
(Bertho Stultiens, et al).  Finally put out a call for people to add
themselves to care of any oversights.  No, the end result won't be
perfect but it's better than nothing.

4) Who's Who does need an update, and I can think of quite a few
people who deserve to be on there.  I'd encourage anyone who isn't on
there to speak up and add themselves (patch to wine-patches, or email
to me).  The most likely for someone not being on there is simply an
oversight on my part.  Names that immediately come to mind include Rob
Shearman, Robert Reif, and Filip Navara.  There's probably a dozen
more.  The guideline for a Who's Who entry is shameless
self-promotion.

5) On our FAQ page we say this:
 People and organizations who have given generous contributions of
money, equipment, or licenses, include:
    David L. Harper
    Bob Hepple
    Mark A. Horton
    Kevin P. Lawton
    The Syntropy Institute
    James Woulfe

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know any of these people.  Maybe we
should add them to that page but it might help to have an explanation
of why.

-Brian