More winecfg todos

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Tue Aug 17 01:38:41 CDT 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Jacek Caban <jack at itma.pwr.wroc.pl> writes:
> > But PATH and temp directory are useful and can be configured this way.
> > Maby we could add this two options?
>
> I don't think they really need to be configured, at least not often
> enough to put them in winecfg.

That is the case about ordinary users.

> There's no real reason to change the temp directory,

Actually, there are some reasons for power-users.  One of them which hits
eme is the low emtpy space on mounted partitions.  When I am installing
some big software I usually change the %temp% dir by editing
~/.wine/config to point it to the FS wich has enough free-space.  When a
new disks and partitions on my machine are going in and out I need to do
the same.

While using "config" file is fine, it doesn't feel for me comfortable to
use "regedit". :-P

> and if an app needs a different PATH the installer for that app will
> change the registry itself. If users really need to change them, IMO we
> are doing something wrong.

Or users may be using not an ordinary softw. or may be even developing /
debugging it inside the Wine, IMHO.  I haven't been changing the %PATH%
dir too often, but there are some console win32 utilities, made by me and
such which have no installer.  So, if I need to run them from the batch
file at wcmd, I basically need to modify %PATH%.

Again, this may be need by power-win32-users, who basically can't stand
the GUI of "regedit". :-P

PS maybe an alternative for the "winecfg" may be some cmd-line option like
the "/advanced" to make such functionality available to user at run-time?