Backtrace Dumps

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Wed Aug 18 03:27:53 CDT 2004

Me too! *jumps up and down* In Java you can say this:

new Exception().printBackTrace();

or some equivalent to get a printout of where you are, and it's very
convenient.

I can see the reasoning behind keeping the code in the debugger then
triggering it using a custom exception though, as that way we only have
one piece of backtracing code.

My problem with this approach is that it relies on the exception
actually getting through to the debugger instead of being trapped by the
program code and swallowed. I guess we could install a vectored handler
to boot the debugger and such but now the code is a lot more complex and
confusing for newbies than just having some inline functions in the
headers. As if the SEH code wasn't already confusing enough!