poll vs. epoll

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Tue Aug 24 13:50:44 CDT 2004

Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Dan Kegel wrote:
>
>> By all means, let's try epoll.
>> FWIW, I wrote a wrapper layer that illustrates how to detect
>> whether epoll etc. are available.  I'm convinced that *runtime*
>> detection is the only way to go.

That's fine, except that compiling your library on a machine that has
epoll, and then trying to run it on a machine without will not work. It
will not load if runtime glibc doesn't have epoll. I'm using "syscall"
to work around that problem in wine.

>>   Compile time detection is insufficient.
>> My code is at http://kegel.com/rn
>

> Sure will have a look.

It doesn't compile (rn.c is not including <sys/epoll.h>). When I fix
that, it checks whether epoll_create works. If it does, it sets all
handlers to use sigio. I don't think this library is quite stable enough :-)

In any case, it seems that it's interface is not ideal for wineserver.
Libevent, on the other hand......

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh