X86/PPC linking (was Re: [Darwine] Re: Wine Emulation: Swapping functions)

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Fri Aug 27 03:23:24 CDT 2004

> This is the more general project that has emerged from my initial idea
> for Darwine, namely X86/Linux binary compatibility for OS X.

Hmm, what is that useful for? Nearly all software for Linux is open
source and can be ported or sometimes simply recompiled for any given
platform. Do you have any particular programs in mind for this ability,
or is it just for the cool factor?

Doing a binary emulation of Linux is really, really easy compared to
emulating Windows (or MacOS) because all the supporting libraries are
already open source. FreeBSD does it, for instance. You only have to do
the syscalls and maybe the linker/C library.

IIRC there is also a "Line" program that does Linux binary emulation for
Windows though for obvious reasons it was never used much ...