[ck] Re: Threading issues? [[email protected]: ck Digest, Vol 3, Issue 16]

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sun Aug 29 15:35:19 CDT 2004

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 10:07:18PM +1000, Con Kolivas wrote:
> Audio runs as a separate thread outside of wine potentially through who
> knows how many layers as a combination of both process and kernel
> context so that's already complicating the issue by having a separate
> thread. X does the same again. So what the win32 game is doing under
> wine when it asks for audio or graphics to be done will be handled
> completely differently to windows. How blocking is done between the
> graphics and audio calls, when you have a highly cpu bound task (the
> game) as well is definitely complex and not just the kernel that is
> responsible here. Add to that the fact that wine itself runs a few
> threads and as I said before, it's a miracle it runs smoothly at all.
This shows that dynamic reloading of different schedulers
is a very useful thing: if playing some game on Wine doesn't work with the
currently used scheduler, you just load a specially adapted scheduler (say a
"Wine" scheduler for close Windows scheduling compatibility ;) in order to
have some great gaming session, and that's it.
(of course it'd be useful to have a universally usable scheduler instead,
but that is very difficult if not impossible to achieve)

Andreas Mohr