E-mail adress

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Tue Aug 31 14:28:23 CDT 2004

Mike Hearn wrote:

> A better technique is to the CSS unicode bi-di attributes to convert
>
> Mike Hearn <xc.ivan at ekim>
>
> in the webpage to
>
> Mike Hearn <mike at navi.cx>
>
> in the rendered image the browser shows you. I came across this trick
> the other day and it's pretty neat. Boring old techniques like
> "username at host" are apparently useless against modern harvester
> bots, so maybe it's worth doing this.

Wow. You'd expect me to think of that one......

Still, that does not allow easy copy&paste, and it has unpleasant effect
on web sites that actually USE bidi. Also, in order to be really
effective, you would need to use RLO (else the strong directionality of
the English letters would still make it left to right), and I'm not sure
how widespread a support this has. Worst, this doesn't work for
automatic clicks.

A better approach, in my humble opinion, is to use javascript. A simple
method is visible in my site (a simple script that reorders the words,
so that they do not appear as a full name anywhere unless you understand
javascript). A more complex method is to RSA encode the email using a 15
bit key that is hard-wired into the decoding javascript. This method is
impossible to work around without actually running a javascript engine
on the harvester, which would open them to all sorts of fun abuse by us. :-)

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.