New Canadian keyboard layout

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Sat Dec 4 11:59:06 CST 2004

Le sam 04/12/2004 à 11:15, Jean-Michel Dault a écrit :
> Le sam 04/12/2004 à 07:20, Dmitry Timoshkov a écrit :
> > "Jean-Michel Dault" <jmdault at revolutionlinux.com> wrote:
> > > I'm doing a pilot project for the Quebec government, and we have one
> > > major problem: they have a keyboard layout that's unsupported by Wine,
> > > though it was commited to XFree about 3 years ago.
> > What do you mean by "unsupported by Wine", is that just a warning that
> > you see? What exactly doesn't work without this patch?
>
> The keyboard that the Government of Quebec uses is the CAN/CSA
> Z243.200-92, and is *not defined* in Wine.

If it is the one I think it is (AKA as Canadian multi-lingual, with the
"è" in place of the deadkey "`"), nobody I know except the government
uses it. There's a reason: it's not a good layout to use on a regular
basis.

> This keyboard is a *legal requirement* for all computers used at the
> Quebec government and the Bilingual areas of the Canadian Government.
>
> Problem: When X11DRV_KEYBOARD_DetectLayout tries to detect the layout,
> it goes through every layout it knows, analyses and scores them.
> Unfortunately, the highest score returned is for the Brazilian ABNT-2
> keyboard, and the score is only 42%, so it's *way* different.
>
> What happens is that none of the accents work, and that's very bad for
> people who have to write in french!
>
> To reproduce, assuming you have a standard US keyboard, do a "setxkbmap
> ca", and try the "?/" key in any iso-8859-1 aware X application (ie:
> OpenOffice). You should see an eacute "é" sign. Then try with Wine,
> there is no key. Same thing with the "}]", it should return ccedilla "ç"
> sign. Works in X, doesn't work in Wine.

Use ca_enhanced, as everybody else. There's a reason the name has
"enhanced" in it :)
(Yes, I know it doesn't help you for your project)

> I added the proper keyboard layout, and, apart from the fact that this
> keyboard uses up to 5 symbols per key and wine only supports 4, I get a
> 85% score, and every key works, every accent, every deadkey.

Which one has 5 symbols? I can only count 4 (in your patch getting a
score of 127).

> If you need more information on this keyboard, look into the XFree86
> sources: http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/programs/xkbcomp/symbols/ca
> Or for a picture of this keyboard:
> http://www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/images/ti/clavier.gif

Vincent