Genrate stdole32.tlb file, and install generated files

Robert Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Wed Dec 8 14:52:51 CST 2004

Huw D M Davies wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 12:02:28PM +0100, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
>

>>Mike Hearn <mh at codeweavers.com> writes:
>>

>>>Hmm, so the approach with a custom app generating stdole32.tlb is not OK?
>>>

>>No, we can't run a Winelib app during the build process, and
>>stdole32.tlb really has to be built like everything else at compile
>>time.
>>

>The reason I wrote a program was that I was unable to get midl to
>generate the correct typelib from stdole32.idl - it really didn't
>like producing IUnknown iirc.  Of course, it may be that I was just
>being dumb, and that it's perfectly possible to do this.  If not I
>guess we can always lift this restriction on widl.

MIDL cannot generate correct stdole* typelibs because it forces the
inclusion of objidl.idl. You have to use mktyplib. As you say, we can
lift this restriction from widl.
Here is a file that, when used with mktyplib, generates a pretty similar
file to stdole32.tlb (similar as in generates the same output from
typelib viewers, but isn't the same at the byte level):
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2003/01/att-0858/01-stdole32.odl

Rob