"Debugging" a password dialog

David Gümbel david.guembel at itomig.de
Fri Dec 10 15:23:07 CST 2004

Hi everybody,

I am trying to get an application to run under Wine that requires a login
with a username and a password. The program runs all fine, however I can't
login with data that should work (and AFAIK works under Windows).

Having entered the password, in the corresponding part of the dialog I only
see "*****" (which is correct). However, when I change focus to some other
part of that dialog afterwards, the password field shows
"*************" (way more asterisks than before). The previous (i.e.
correct) length of ****s is restored when setting the focus back onto the
password field.

I have reason to believe that the password I entered is not correctly passed
on to the login procedure of the program. However, I am sort of badly
lacking a nice idea how to efficiently debug this thingy and verify
(falsify ;) that I'm right. So, does anybody have an idea?

Bye,

David