"Debugging" a password dialog

Robert Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Fri Dec 10 19:09:26 CST 2004

David Gümbel wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>

>I am trying to get an application to run under Wine that requires a login
>with a username and a password. The program runs all fine, however I can't
>login with data that should work (and AFAIK works under Windows).
>
>Having entered the password, in the corresponding part of the dialog I only
>see "*****" (which is correct). However, when I change focus to some other
>part of that dialog afterwards, the password field shows
>"*************" (way more asterisks than before). The previous (i.e.
>correct) length of ****s is restored when setting the focus back onto the
>password field.

Are you sure this isn't a security feature of the program? Does the
program exhibit this behaviour in Windows?

>I have reason to believe that the password I entered is not correctly passed
>on to the login procedure of the program. However, I am sort of badly
>lacking a nice idea how to efficiently debug this thingy and verify
>(falsify ;) that I'm right. So, does anybody have an idea?

It is unlikely, but not impossible to be a bug in the edit control. That
code has been around for ages and is well tested, but then again this
program could be using some really weird side effects. I would look
elsewhere though. What is the password being checked against? Is it
going over the network? Is it reading in a file off the disk and
processing it? Is it using cryptography functions? Answering these will
give you some clues with which to start debugging with.

Rob