<<PATCH>> Added shell32.dll functions to browse for unix directory; altered winecfg to use it to select the root directory of a virtual drive

Arjen Nienhuis a.g.nienhuis at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 07:00:18 CST 2004

> Hmm. For the winecfg use case though we have to pass back a Unix path,
> as by definition it might not be mapped to a Windows path. I suspect
> most code that uses the browse folder API converts the PIDL straight
> into a path that it can use with CreateFileEx and so on so it might
> break stuff if we invented a new PIDL extension that contained a raw
> Unix path.

No, you shouldn't convert a PIDL to path. Shell extensions create
temporary files on SHGetPathFromIDList. SHGetPathFromIDList is
implemented by shell extensions.

Maybe we can return names like \\.\unix\usr\doc\ or whatever
devicepaths look like in windows.

You can hide shell extensions by not registering them as part of 'my
computer'. You can acess any them simply by creating a shortcut or a
directory named Dirname.{CLSID}. I don't know if you can access them
without creating a file.