Stubs in PE build

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Tue Dec 14 08:31:02 CST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:13:51 +0100, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> So now it will be a bit of work before we can get rid of
> them, but that should be the long term goal; and that's why I don't
> think we should add more code to support them.

I'm a bit confused, the specfile level stubs are handy if only because
when an app calls them you can see exactly which function was called in
the error. Otherwise you'd just get a crash at 0xdeadbeef (what if that
address is mapped? can that even happen?).

It also suppresses all the warnings from the linker when using native DLLs
that are linked against internal functions but never use them, for
whatever reason.

They also make adding new DLLs easier, as you don't have to submit lots of
stub functions for every entry point. I guess we could have a script to
generate them given a header, but still ...

thanks -mike