<<PATCH>> Added shell32.dll functions to browse for unix directory; altered winecfg to use it to select the root directory of a virtual drive

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Thu Dec 16 11:34:43 CST 2004

Kuba Ober wrote:

>I wouldn't be so sure about that. On win98, in "MS-DOS Prompt" I can type
>
>edit \\server\myhome\file.txt
>
>And it opens it just fine.
>
>Similarly, I can type
>
>dir "\\server\shared files"
>
>I'm sure the DOS utilities just use long file name APIs and those "simply
>work". It should be the same for win32 apps.
>
>This is networking stuff, though. Now as far as virtual namespaces go, I have
>no idea.

Try to go to the temporary internet files folder. Under explorer you see
the shortcuts and their location. From dos (do "dir /a") you see just
"Content.IE5" and "Desktop.ini" (which is what makes this folder a shell
extension).

>This involved some {guid} stuff in the name, but I sure doubt that CreateFile
>would dig that.

It won't. This is a *shell* extension.

>Maybe the unix stuff can go under \\__unix\something ?

That's an interesting idea, actually. I actually don't think that we
need to change anything in wine.

mkdir -p ~/.wine/dosdevices/unc/__unix
ln -s / ~/.wine/dosdevices/unc/__unix/root

That should give you a link to the files the way you want them. I'm too
out of touch of the thread to figure out whether that solves our
problems. If it does, we can just have wineprefix create create this
link....

>Cheers, Kuba

    Shachar

--