Approving of the WINEprobe initiative

David Gümbel david.guembel at itomig.de
Mon Dec 20 09:20:50 CST 2004

Hello everybody,

- as my colleague Stefan Munz has already pointed out recently[1] on this
list, Wirtschaftsförderung Region Stutgart GmbH (WRS) and us (ITOMIG) are
launching an initiative called WINEprobe[2]. Its goal is to make local
software vendors aware of the potential bussiness opportunity in a
WINE-based port or a WINE/Linux version of their software.

WRS is quite committed as far as Open Source is concerned[3], and is pushing
OSS in the region since quite a time. It has co-organized, among others,
the KDE World Summit 2004 in Ludwigsburg near Stuttgart[4]. The
Perlworkshop 6.0 , GUADEC6 (GNOME Conference) [5], ApacheCon Europe and
more than 40 other Open Source Events in the Stuttgart Region are organized
or supported by the WRS as well. (You can find a description of WRS at the
bottom of this mail.)

In order to make the WINEprobe initiative beneficial for the WINE project as
much as possible, three things are in the making:

1) At the option of the respective software vendor whose product we'll be
analyzing for WINE compatibility, Application Database Entries will be
maintained by us once a software product has been analyzed for its
compatibility with WINE.

2) Reports of successful porting or migration projects will be given back to
the community as success stories. My colleage is already working on merging
some success stories supplied by third parties (see [6]).

3) WRS has offered to help out in hosting the WINE developers conference
Wineconf in 2005 in the Stuttgart area[7].

Mr. Schmid from WRS has asked me (please see the mail below) to provide some
information about this initiative to the WINE community. He thinks (and I
agree ;) that it would help us a great deal in making the campaign a
success if the WINE community somehow "officially" (as official as a
community can be :) approved of this initiative. So my question, on behalf
of Mr. Schmid, is simply if there are objections against us saying that
this initiative is approved of by the WINE community?

As an important sidenote, I permit myself to emphasize that all of our above
mentioned efforts (1-3) to support the WINE project and its community are
fully independent of the answer of this question. Most particularily, the
hosting offer stands, and the commitment there won't be lowered if the
WINEprobe is not approved of by the community. However, I feel that a
successful WINEprobe will be a benefit for the WINE project as well.

If there are any questions open, please feel free to ask.

Cheers,

David