Approving of the WINEprobe initiative

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 11:41:46 CST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:20:50 +0100, David Gümbel
<david.guembel at itomig.de> wrote:

> - as my colleague Stefan Munz has already pointed out recently[1] on this
> list, Wirtschaftsförderung Region Stutgart GmbH (WRS) and us (ITOMIG) are
> launching an initiative called WINEprobe[2]. Its goal is to make local
> software vendors aware of the potential bussiness opportunity in a
> WINE-based port or a WINE/Linux version of their software.

Just curious, what is ITOMIG?

> In order to make the WINEprobe initiative beneficial for the WINE project as
> much as possible, three things are in the making:

WINEprobe is an.. er.. interesting name.  Why did you choose it?  From
a marketing perspective, it doesn't seem like a good name.  In
general, the word "probe" doesn't exactly give a warm, fuzzy feeling
or generate excitement.  Is this a translation of a German word that
sounds better?

It sounds like you guys are interested in Winelib stuff.  I'm sure
you've investigated the pros/cons of that.  Did you notice the Winelib
documentation is very outdated?  Would you guys want to tackle
updating it?

-Brian Vincent