Approving of the WINEprobe initiative

Brian Vincent brian.vincent at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 22:46:17 CST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:13:00 +0100, David Gümbel
<david.guembel at itomig.de> wrote:
> Jep, its actually a pun: WINEprobe means be something like WINEtasting in
> english an maybe "degustation de WINE" in french. It's a little hard to
> translate puns, sorry ;) Maybe this is helpful:
> http://dict.leo.org/?search=weinprobe

I saw that reference later in the email.  That does make sense and I
guess WINEprobe is a good name.  Not so good when said in English, but
then again that doesn't really matter.  Puns are fun.  I'm sure
there's plenty of English words that don't sound so good in German :)

By the way, didn't we standardize on "Wine" rather than "WINE" a few
years ago?  Would "WineProbe" be more appropriate?

So as far as official endorsement.. I'm sure someone in the Wine
community will speak up if they disagree with anything.  (Conversely,
they won't speak up if they agree.)  The three projects you mentioned
all sound great and they're things that really should be worked on.
So in the sense that stuff should get done - I think we all want that.
 That leads up to your question of whether the Wine community approves
of the initiative?  Well.. I'm not qualified to answer that question.

If you do contribute to Wine, we'll gladly add you to our acknowledgements page
( http://www.winehq.org/site/acknowledgement ).  Then you can say
things in press releases like, "WRS, an acknowledged Wine contributor,
....."   Anyone disagree with that idea?

-Brian Vincent