Approving of the WINEprobe initiative

Izak Burger izakb at synapp.com
Thu Dec 23 05:01:39 CST 2004

Stefan Munz wrote:
> as my partner David Gümbel is travelling much these days and thus is badly
> online available, I thought I add a few lines here :-)

Boy it is good to see someone struggle as much with English as I
struggle with German :-)  Badly online?  You either mean "hardly" online
(ie not many times, which I think would be wenig auf Deutsch) or that
his connection speed is low.

> As this is a german project, actually a swabian project ;-) it is important
> for us, that the name sounds good in german. And yes, there are some english
> alternatives that sound funny in german too or that people who only speak
> german would'nt even understand.

I think I understand.  Probe obviously means the same as "proef" in my
mother tongue which means "to test" or "to be tested".  I don't think
there is an English word that will do justice, and "probing" makes sense
even in English, even if it does not generate excitement.

But that is just me, being bored at work two days before Christmas and
looking for some email to answer...

Schönes Weinacht,
Izak
--
Technically speaking, if you receive this email, you are the intended
recipient.  Unless specifically stated otherwise I speak for myself.  I