ptrace single-stepping change breaks Wine

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Wed Dec 29 09:02:38 CST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 03:14 +0100, Thomas Sailer wrote:
> Any news about the ptrace single-stepping breakage of wine?

I can't see if he CCd anybody from the archives but Jesse Allen posted a
nice analysis of the remaining problem here:

http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2004/12/0691.html

Here is one interesting portion of his email:

> #3 signal.c - Clearing the trap flag if being traced by debugger in
> setup_sigcontext()
>
> For some reason, Warcraft III doesn't work if it is cleared here.  I
> have no idea if this TF clear is really necessary.  However,
> everything I've read on this seems to indicate to me that this change
> is important, so I need to find out what this causes to the game.

The other changes Linus made are apparently good and do not cause
Warcraft to regress.

thanks -mike